THE NEW COLORS OF A NEW ERA ● The interface of all your software and the entire desktop is now rejuvenated, modernized. This is a fork from your reliable Mint-Y theme. It is the standard Linux Mint GTK theme now in a new edition with more energized and readable colors.
This Mint-Yz works well on Linux Mint 19, Linux Mint 20, and newer. (Gtk+ 3.22 or newer.)
on all Mint desktops: Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce.
Do not attempt to install this on older systems.
Don't miss the Mint-Yz-icons with the same color scheme: https://www.pling.com/p/1423464/
This is a package with 11 different colors in 3 different variants: light, darker and darkest. This makes 33 different themes, all included in one little Debian package. And all of this is done on a solid foundation of improved shell and Python programs. It is also renamed MINT-YZ and is a separate Debian package. This means you can install it in addition to the standard MINT-Y, compare, experiment, and change your mind at any time. Your good old Mint-Y will not be removed or changed. And all of this is made very easy, see the installation instructions below.
The OCS-Install is not available here. There is a Debian package to be downloaded instead.
- Go to the Files page or click on the Download button.
- Download the latest mint-yz-theme_x.x_all.deb file. (x.x = version number)
- Open it and click the [Install Package] button.
- Select your new themes in Menu > Preferences > Themes
CAREFULLY CHOSEN COLORS AND PRECISE ENGINEERING
This color branch here is the sum of a lot of work. At the start there was the Horst3180 Arc-theme. On this well-designed and solid foundation was created the Mint-Y theme, which has evolved considerably since. Then I created a fork of this Mint-Y and made some improvements on the auto branch, to get the build process 100% automated. And finally, this colors branch was created on top of all that.
The colors convey energies, vibrations... They should not be too subdued. But they should not always be set at full saturation and brightness either, because this could cause eye strain. So the saturation and lightness levels are carefully chosen here. And there is also the contrast with the white text in the foreground which received sustained attention. These new colors are therefore energizing, stimulating, and not tiring.
OTHER DESIGN IMPROVEMENTS
Version 2.0 and up comes with other design improvements:
- Buttons and entries rounded corners are a bit more rounded, 3px->5px. I never liked this 3px border-radius. This makes button’s rounded corners so subtle, it just looks like a rectangle with one missing pixel on each corner. Now this 3px->5px is not a radical change, you still get approximately the same flat design, but the corners on interactive elements are now just a bit more rounded.
- Focused button outline = selected_bg_color, to see what Enter key does. Example: When you close an unsaved document, you get a dialog asking whether you want to Close without Saving, or Cancel, or Save. One of those buttons is already focused, so you can just press Enter key to make that choice, or press Tab to move the focus to another button, and then press Enter. But before it was hard to routinely press the Enter key without having some doubts, because the focus was very subtly indicated with a thin dashed grey line. This line is now solid and colored, so you know what you are doing when you press that Enter key!
- No more dashed outlines! The focused buttons are now more visible, but there are no more dashed outlines on other focused elements. Because i found annoying to see an outline in Nemo in some weird cases like when deleting a directory and then seeing a useless dashed outline on the other directory next to it for no reason, or when moving through selected directories using the arrow keys and then seeing both the selected background color and the dashed line on top of it.
- Messages colors are updated. There are various preset colors for various messages. There is the links colors, and that green color on that "Save" button, or that red color on the logout button, etc. They all got updated.
- Fixed bug on window borders. Before, in Cinnamon, when changing the GTK theme to another color, the window close buttons were not changing accordingly. Now these window borders are just selected separately, letting you choose to have a red close button with a green GTK theme, for example.